(62a) Addendum to (62)
The Misha Campaign (049-1122)
Private Activities by Kalida Siena
Kalida's points of research:
- THC - the book has infor about Nakege in the 3rd and 4th Frontier
Wars, corporate culture, future prospects, etc. She knows that stuff,
even if it isn't filled in yet.
- (Right. I'll fill that in as I can.
I intend to link all this background stuff off your character when
I get to it, so it'll be easier to bring it all together (but don't hold
your breath for that).)
- Gravella Family - more info about them, especially current stuff.
- There's nothing outside the books you have. (and I'll fill that in later too...)
- Bank of Mongo - who/where are they? Why do they continue
to extend THC credit?
- They're the national bank of Mongo / Jewell. That's
all you can find out without going there. As to why they continue
to support THC, that's anyone's guess.
- Tukera Lines - The common point between Ianic and Nakege is the
"qwuality low-volume" crafts for export. So she'll write up an in-depth
comparison/contrast between Tukera/Ianic and Tukera/Nakege. Also,
look for any other systems Tukera's done this kind of thing to before. What
is the timeline for the Tukera/Nakege interaction?
- Tukera Lines actually has their own covert security agency. It's
not mentioned in the Tukera Lines library data entry, but does have
an entry of it's own (also under Corporations) as Vemene.
It's pretty clear from Tukera's record that they are very willing
to resort to military or paramilitary intimidation to get what they want.
- The other common factor between Nakege and Ianic
is that the world was being run by a small number of people who had all
the power. In the former case that was the Gravella family and THC,
and in the latter it was the Order of the Reptilian Black Things That Spit
(known as TDS in their own language). That makes it easier to convince
them to sign an exclusive contract, and easier to play games with whether
the contract has actually been signed or not. Both also rejected many
aspects of high technology -- you know about Nakege, but you'll find
that the TDS condemn some modern things as "uncivilized," such as most weapons
and even regular silverware. In theory, high tech information technology
should give Tukera an advantage over the locals for negotiation.
- In both cases Tukera was the first company in. It's an obvious
policy of getting started on contracts before the locals had a chance to
set up and get organized. Again, that should give Tukera more favorable
terms, and give a good chance at a monopoly.
- It's certain that Tukera has done this before. It may not
have been in the Spinward Marches -- Kalida's initial search can't find others,
but that doesn't mean they're not there. (i.e.
Referee needs to check for less obvious cases)
- The Tukera/Nakege situation is stable, and has been that
way since early in the dispute. Nakege has no space-going resources,
and only the smaller traders would risk angering Tukera Lines by running
the blockade. It doesn't take a lot of resources for Tukera to enforce
the blockade. It's very likely they have Vemene agents working on neighboring
worlds to discourage any adventurous traders from going to Nakege.
- The decision at Ianic is almost certainly the first time
Imperial nobility has interfered in such a dispute. That it went against
Tukera so completely has to be a shock. Nakege, however, is much
further out on the frontier, and doesn't have such interesed local nobility
-- the Countess of Jewell is the closest, and the Duke with jurisdiction
over the area is actually the Archduke of Deneb himself, who resides all
the way at the other end of the Marches at Mora. His second
child would become the Duke of Regina on attaining majority, but since Norris
isn't even married and has no heirs yet, this is a long way away. (The
Duke of Adabicci has probably mentioned while drunk that the Archduke is
actually gay. Don't expect a new Duke of Regina any time soon. There
are technological ways around the male-male match these days, and there's
always adoption, but the Archduke isn't rumored to be in a steady relationship.)
Until there's a Duke-level noble to get involved, Tukera is probably
safe at Nakege from a repeat of the Ianic interference.
- Nakege/Jewell - Kalida should already know some of this, and
the rest would be easy to fined out - what are the levels of nobility out
there? Besides Kalida being Marquis of Nakege, what else is out there,
from Nakege out to the Jewell subsector?
- That's all in the Nobility of Spinward Marches library data
entry off Personalities. Of course the Duke in charge is the
Duke of Regina, who has authority over any Imperial areas in Jewell and Chronor
sectors (were there actually to be any in the latter).
- What does Kalida know or can she find out about Armis Kowrollian,
the new Marquis of Ianic?
- Virtually nothing. He's not really known outside his homeworld
of Ianic. The Archduke has met him, of course, but aside from
his grace no-one offworld knows him at all.